The US Nanny Institute invests in current and future leaders of our industry and has a new, tailored program designed specifically for Newborn Care.
Many parents seek Newborn Care Specialists (NCS) to help navigate the first year. Newborn care specialists primarily work during the first 12 months of a child’s life and help families learn best practices and help establish schedules. Many Newborn Care Specialists work overnight and/or as consultants to assist new parents. Thus, the Newborn Care curriculum focuses on safety, development, common medical issues, nutrition, sleep and general care for newborns to 1 year.
If you are interested in a comprehensive program for nannies and sitters, check out the Basic, Intermediate, Advanced, Specialist or Professional Childcare programs. The US Nanny Institute also offers an e-Learning Facilitator program.
Newborn Care Program Requirements
The US Nanny Institute Newborn Care program is 17 hours of online classes (and 3 optional hours) that you watch on-demand. While watching the courses, you complete the provided study guides which prepare you for the online proficiency exam. You can enroll online at any time and start right away. When the program is completed, you earn a Newborn Care Certification and get a transcript that lists the program courses. If you complete all 20 hours, you will meet the training requirements for the US Nanny Association’s Newborn Care and Infant Professional (NCIP) credential. If you completed the Newborn Care program and want to enroll in the Professional Childcare program, click here for the tuition discount.
Total Tuition and Fees: $550
Do you want a payment play with installments? If so, you can also checkout using Shop Pay (this is Shopify’s payment program).
Newborn Care – List of Classes
The Newborn Care program provides practical skills to help parents navigate the first year with a newborn. This program is online (17 hours) and designed for those seeking work as a newborn care specialist, consultant or overnight nanny. See a complete course list below and meet our 33 faculty instructors. All faculty instructors have at least a Master’s degree and five (5) years of direct experience in their area of expertise.
Each class is an on-demand video by our faculty and every class has a study guide that you download. You complete the study guide as you watch the course. After each course, there is a short quiz to test your understanding of the course material. The study guide and quiz prepare you for the proficiency exam at the end of the program.
- CC 101: Understanding Children by Dr. Lauren Formy-Duval (2 hours). This course teaches the importance of attachment and provides an overview of child development stages for newborns, infants, toddlers, preschoolers, early elementary and primary years with a focus on physical, social, and emotional developmental milestones.
- CC 102: Children and the Law by Aaron Brandel, JD (1 hour). Laws differ in each state, but compliance with local child safety provisions is always mandatory. This course will review relevant laws on proper transportation, injury liability, child abuse, contracts, emergency treatment, and legal protections for childcare workers.
- CC 201: Newborn Care by Dr. Tali Berkovitch (2 hours). This course covers newborn and infant developmental milestones, holding, feeding, diapering, soothing, common ailments and signs of illness.
- CC 205: Children and Literacy by Christine Ducz, MA (1 hour). This course teaches early literacy skills for infants and toddlers while promoting strong reading and writing skills for preschool and kindergarten children. The course discusses advanced reading levels, the common core curriculum and how to support reading at home.
- HS 202: Childhood Health by Dr. Alexandra Murr (1.5 hours). This course teaches correct handwashing, how to manage common ailments (croup, RSV, flu and many others), recommended vaccinations, and over the counter medications.
- CC 303: Advanced Newborn Care by Dr. Tali Berkovitch (1.5 hours). This course teaches how to care for preemies, the science of breast milk and formulas, and advanced medical and health issues including circumcision, cleft palate and tongue tie, pyloric stenosis and plagiocephaly.
- CC 305: Children and Music by Dr. Beth Stutzmann (1 hour). Music helps the body and mind work together. This course introduces appropriate song literature, provides tools to teach music, and demonstrates musically integrated activities for children of different ages.
- CC 404 Baby Sign Language by Jena Paulo, MS (0.5 hour). Most babies can sign before they speak so parents are using baby sign language to boost communication. This course teaches why and how to use baby sign language, when to teach signs to babies and teaches you the most common baby signs.
- CC 405: Multiples and Siblings by Kathryn Gonsalves, MA (0.5 hour). This course is designed to help you better understand the multiple birth dynamics, what may be expected of you and how you can better manage the unique challenges of caring for multiples and supporting siblings.
- HS 501: Sleep Training by Andrea Malson, NP (1 hour). This course teaches sleep science and provides tools to help children ages 6 months and up develop healthy sleep habits. The course provides practical ways to overcome sleep challenges and introduces sleep techniques including the 5 S’s, no tears, pick up and put down, fading, and strategic napping.
- HS 103: Water Awareness by Elizabeth Malson, MS (1 hour). More than 350 children drown each year. This course discusses drowning risk factors, techniques to reduce drowning risk, dry and secondary drowning, types of floatation devices, and provides water safety guidelines when in, on, or around the water.
- HS 104: Food Safety by Dr. Jennifer Rodriquez-Bosque (1 hour). From farming to the kitchen, food safety decreases the risk of foodborne illnesses caused by bacteria, viruses, parasites and allergens. This course teaches food safety practices to prevent contamination, reduce pesticide exposure and safely prepare, cook, store, and reheat food.
- GE 101: Professionalism by Karli Ortmann, MA (1 hour). Conducting yourself with high character, integrity, and behaving with moral principles is required to be a positive role model for children. This course teaches how to engage professionally and make appropriate choices while employed in childcare.
- HS 101: Emergency Planning by Elizabeth Malson, MS (1 hour). Being prepared can help identify potential emergencies and possibly save lives. This course will teach specific actions needed for weather, medical, fire, unsafe situations, auto accidents, power loss and active shooter situations as well as provide tools on how to develop and use an emergency plan.
- HS 102: Safety in the Home by Marlene Malson, MS (1 hour). One of the primary responsibilities of a childcare provider is to supervise and monitor the safety of children in their care. This course will identify many of the physical risks including hazards, poisons, baby equipment, outdoor safety and discuss ways to eliminate or minimize the risk of injury or harm.
Total Tuition and Fees: $599
I’ve been a nanny for over five years and I learned so much more than I expected. In each program, I gained new skills and used them right away with the children in my care. The faculty are college professors who really understand childcare. I am now earning more to help pay for graduate school.
I talk about the importance of education to the children in my care so it’s important that I invest in nanny and childcare training. I learned about nutrition, fitness, special education, child development, and so much more. The Professional Childcare program has made me a better nanny.
I worked as a live-in nanny and want to earn more with another long term position. My US Nanny Institute Certification makes my application stand out from the others.
As a mom who’s employed 2 nannies over 6 years, it was hard to find good candidates. I look for the US Nanny Institute Certification because it gives me confidence that the nannies have the right training to care for my kids.
I love teaching children about music and jumped at the chance to share my best tips and songs in a music course. Music is fun and nannies have an opportunity to delight and educate the children in their care.
The Nanny Institute is invested in your success, including getting a job with a great family. All Nanny Institute programs include job placement classes. These classes teach expert resume writing, job search strategies, prepare you for interviews, and help you negotiate a work agreement. These classes are optional as many students are already successfully employed.
Included at no additional cost
The Admission Office is available by phone Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8am and 5pm EST for enrollment and program support. If unavailable to take the call at (941) 773-9020, the admissions department accepts voicemails and text messages. The Admissions office can also be reached at email@example.com.
Online Training Refund Policy
Should a student’s enrollment be terminated or canceled for any reason, all refunds will be made according to the following refund schedule:
- Cancellation requires the submission of a Cancellation Notice (Form 108) by electronic mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by termination. Form 108 can be found in the student portal.
- If the US Nanny Institute does not accept the student or the student does not start any classes and cancels within (3) business days after making payment, then 100% of fees and tuition (less the $50 non-refundable enrollment fee) will be refunded.
- Cancellation after enrollment through 25% of the program will result in a Pro Rata refund. Program completion is computed on the number of clock hours of courses completed to the total program clock hours or the number of days since enrollment to the total number of days allocated to complete the program, whichever is greater.
- Canceling after completing more than 25% of the program (courses and/or time allocated) will result in no refund.
Refunds will be made within 30 days of termination of the student’s enrollment or receipt of Cancellation Notice (Form 108) from the student.
Meet Our Amazing Faculty
Kerri Beisner earned a Master of Education in Moderate Learning Disabilities K-8 from Endicott College, a Bachelor of Art in English from the University of Connecticut. Licensure in Moderate Learning Disabilities…
Dr. Tali Berkovitch
Dr. Tali Berkovitch earned a Doctor of Philosophy in Teaching and Learning from New York University, a Master of Arts in Early Childhood Education from New York University, and a…
Elena Borrelli earned a Masters of Science in Physician Studies from the University of Detroit Mercy and a Bachelor of Science in Biology from Oakland University. She is a Licensed…
Sereniti Bradley earned an Educational Specialist in Educational Leadership for Teaching and Learning from Walden University, a Master of Business Administration from Baker College, and a Bachelor of Science in…
Aaron Brandel earned a Juris Doctorate from the University of Miami, a Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing from Hamline University, and a Bachelor of Arts from Binghamton University. He is licensed…
Shaundra Boyd earned a Master of Art in Early Childhood Education from the University of Phoenix, a Master of Art in Curriculum and Instruction from the University of Phoenix, and…
Gregory Cassiere earned a Master of Art in Early Childhood Education from Mercy College and Bachelor of Art in Political Science from Fordham University. He has a Certificate in Special…
Dr. Alaina Desjardin
Dr. Alaina Desjardin earned a Doctorate of Business Administration from Northcentral University, a Masters of Public Administration from Ashford University, a Masters of Arts in Teaching in Special Education from…
Michelle Dragalin earned an Educational Specialist in Educational Technology from Walden University, a Master of Education from the University of Phoenix, a Bachelor of Art in Special Education from Old…
Christine Ducz earned a Master of Arts in Education and Curriculum Instruction from the University of Phoenix and a Bachelor of Arts in English from Centenary University. She is a…
Dr. Lauren Formy-Duval
Dr. Lauren Formy-Duval earned a Doctor of Psychology in Clinical Psychology from Nova Southeastern University, a Master of Science in Clinical Psychology from Nova Southeastern University, and a Bachelor of…
Kathryn Gonsalves earned a Master of Art in Psychology from Humboldt State University and a Bachelor of Science in Psychology from Campbell University. She is a Virginia teacher and psychology…
Annemarie Guertin earned a Master of Arts in Elementary Education from Fitchburg State University and a Bachelor of Art in Early Childhood Education from Wheelock College. She is a public…
Chelsea Herndon earned a Master of Arts in Early Childhood Education and Elementary Education and Educational Specialist in Elementary Education from the University of Alabama at Birmingham. She is a…
Dr. Ken James
Dr. Ken James earned a Doctorate and Education Specialist in Teaching and Learning from Liberty University, a Master of Art in School Counseling from Valdosta State University, and a Bachelor…
Jessica Lofton earned a Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction from Grand Canyon University, a Graduate Certificate in Business from Cameron University, and a Bachelor of Science in Computer…
Andrea Malson earned a Master of Science in Nursing from Ohio University, a Master of Science in Nursing from Walden University, and a Bachelor of Science in Nursing from Wright…
Elizabeth Malson earned a Master of Science in Pharmaceuticals from the University of Southern California, a Master of Business Administration from the University of North Carolina, and a Bachelor of…
Marlene Malson earned a Master of Science in Operations Management from the University of Arkansas, is a Graduate of the United States Air Force Air War College, and earned a…
Dr. Alexandra Murr
Dr. Alexandra Murr earned a Doctorate of Nursing Practice from University of Toledo, a Master of Science in Nursing from University of Phoenix, and a Bachelor of Art in Art…
Sarah Olson earned a Master of Science in Counseling and Psychology from Troy University and a Bachelor of Art in Criminal Justice from Mercyhurst College. She is a Global Career…
Karli Ortmann earned a Master of Art in Counseling from Chicago Professional School of Psychology (expected in 2020) and a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology from St. Xavier University. She has been…
Jena Paulo earned Master of Science in Education from California State University and a Bachelor of Art in Human Development from California State University. She is a Head Preschool teacher, Preschool Director,…
Darrin Prince earned a Master of Arts in Christian Education from Faith Bible College and a Bachelor of Science in Liberal Arts and Science/Business Administration. He has a USATF (USA Track &…
Denise Richardson earned a Master of Education in Leadership of Educational Organizations from American InterContinental University and a Bachelor of Art in Elementary Education from Trinity International University of Florida. She is the Program…
Dr. Jennifer Rodriquez-Bosque
Dr. Jennifer Rodriquez-Bosque earned a Doctor of Health Science from Nova Southeastern University, a Master of Science in Nutrition and Wellness from Benedictine University, and a Bachelor of Science in Nutrition…
Andrea Sammons earned a Master of Art in Teaching from Georgia College and State University and a Bachelor of Art in Studio Art-Ceramics from Georgia College and State University. She is a…
Dr. Beth Stutzmann
Dr. Beth Stutzmann earned a Doctor of Musical Arts in Music Education from Shenandoah University, a Master of Music in Horn Performance from Oklahoma City University, and a Bachelor of Music…
Sara Townley. Master of Science in Applied Nutrition – Sport & Fitness from Canisius College and a Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science from the University of Texas – Arlington. High…
Allison Winkelmann earned a Master of Science in Human Nutrition and Functional Medicine from the University of Western States and a Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology from the University of Texas….
Lynn Zepp earned a Master of Science in Food and Nutrition from Indiana University of Pennsylvania and a Bachelor of Science in Nutritional Sciences from Pennsylvania State University. She is a Registered Dietitian and Licensed…
Dr. Patricia Ziefle
Dr. Patricia Ziefle earned a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine from Louisiana State University and Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry from Louisiana State University. She is an equine and small animal veterinary specialist.
Michele Silence. Michele earned a Master of Arts in Psychology from California State University, Los Angeles and is a 35-year fitness professional. Michele is also a studio owner, freelance writer,…
Warren Burger earned a Masters of Business Administration from the Florida Institute of Technology and a Master’s Certificate in Personal Financial Planning from the College for Financial Planning. He is…
Recent Resource Articles
Cost to Hire a Nanny
Childcare costs are often the highest or 2nd largest family expense and
How to Fire/Terminate a Nanny
Firing a nanny is not easy as they have been working in
Nanny & Newborn Care Contract
Taking the time to draft, agree on terms, and sign a work
Road Trips: What Do You See?
Every summer, when I was growing up, we got into a fully-packed